MARTHA KARL – Young, Aspiring Dual-International Player for PNG



 It’s always a dream for young sports men and women in Papua New Guinea to wear the national colors and represent their country abroad. There are only a handful of athletes who have been able to juggle between different sporting codes and get to make it into the PNG squad.

In December 2016, I wrote about 19year old Martha Karl, from Dumun in Sinesine Chimbu province, who played for PNG during the 2016 FIFA U20 Womens World Cup in Port Moresby.

“Even though we lost by a huge score differences in the soccer World Cup, I always keep my head up and aim for the best for my country, “ Martha said.

Martha is one athlete who has been outstanding in her aspiration to become the youngest athlete to represent PNG in two of our beloved sporting codes; soccer and rugby league.

Martha (14) about to tackle an Australian Jillaroos player


“ I was also selected to be part of the PNG Flames Womens AFL team to the 2017 International Cup in Melbourne, but my family could not afford to raise enough money for me to travel.”

Martha grew up among boys at the Admin compound in Lae and learnt the skills of rugby through her friends who play touch footy in the local competition. Most kids that grew up in Admin compound were into rugby touch and soccer, which Martha decided to give it a go into soccer.

“I also take up athletics, AFL, rugby union, rugby league and soccer.“ says Martha.

Martha in action for  PNG during 2016 FIFA  U20 Womens World Cup

In 2016, Martha was part of the PNG U20 Womens team who hosted the FIFA U20 Womens World Cup in Port Moresby, an historical year for a young Highlands girl.

Martha is set to create another history for herself, her family and her beloved country when she will be wearing the PNG Orchid jersey in the Womens Rugby League World cup in Australia from November 16th – December 2nd 2017.

“ I started playing rugby league in 2014, I played for Eriku Panthers, 2015 for the Morobe Tigers and 2016 I was away in camp for the FIFA World cup and now I play for the 14B Pirates, Martha recalled her short rugby league journey.

She plays on the wing and backs in soccer and center and half-back in rugby league. This World Cup she would be playing utility (off the bench) for the PNG Orchids.



“This World cup for Rugby League, I am dedicating it to my father Andrew Karl, my great supporter who always cheered for me whether I win or loose,” says Martha.

“I always wanted to be the female version of Greg Inglis or Jonathan Thurston. Because I grew up among boys, I couldn’t resist playing the sports and players they choose.”

Martha is one of the youngest dual-international players in modern day football in PNG. Despite missing out playing with the PNG Flames AFL Womens team, she is confident to give her best for PNG Orchids in 2017 Women rugby League World cup in November.

Pictures courtesy of Frostferria2017





Comments