LAE POLICE S.R.U - From Boys to Men

Its been a long time since I've reported on major crimes in Lae city. In 2014 I reported for EMTV as a crime and sports journalist covering petty crimes to rapes, murders and bloody ethnic clashes.I moved on to NBC in October 2015, the same time Chief Superintendent Anthony Wagambie Jnr was posted to Morobe as the Lae Metropolitan Superintendent Commander.
We began working together on several policing initiatives with awareness into communities and suburbs in Lae as a start.
Since then, law breakers in Lae were put on notice to stop crime or face the full brunt of the law.
The barrel of the gun was the last resort as Wagambie Jnr tried his best to regain public confidence in the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary (RPNGC) in Lae.
The Sector Response Unit (SRU) concept was put forward by Wagambie Jnr and its blessing by the RPNGC hierachy has pushed Lae police ahead to counter criminal elements in the city.
Major crimes in Lae were reduced by almost 90% in just under three months, with more efforts towards giving confidence back to the taxpayers and residents.
The SRU concept drew more support with Digicel PNG setting up a toll free emergency number and a whatsapp account attched to it for police assistance.
Logistics and manpower are major challenges faced by the RPNGC in Lae. However, innovative policing has drove the Lae Metro ahead of the rest.
Today Wagambie Jnr wrote this on his Facebook wall;
I took a gamble in forming this unit. We selected a bunch of very young Probationary Constables with just over a year out in the field , put them with a couple of experienced NCOs, the majority of the NCOs were former Mobile Squad members and Rapid Response Lae. .
I told them "You guys will make it or break it. If you fail , I fail and I will be dealt with!"
We nurtured them , me being on the field with them and guiding the unit, taking command myself to make sure SRU operated the way I wanted.  Now my boys are very experienced and everything is in place .
Am proud of all of them. Yes we have one or two who step out of line, but the guys have done me proud.
It's like a father watching his child take his first steps until he can walk unaided.
We took Inspector David Kumayon, who was Commander Mobile Squad 13 and moved him to command SRU Lae. We then increased the manpower to the current 74 men.
Never before have we had 24/7 Police armed response coverage of the City.
Sections of SRU have been deployed out of the Lae to Morobe rural, Kurumbukari (Madang), Madang town unrest, Bogia (Madang) and Kainantu (EHP).
I don't personally take command of the unit as much as I used to ,but only in major incidents or Operations.
It gives me personal pride when I see and hear people praising SRU for all that they do. Yes they do extremely well.
SRU has become the strength of Lae Metropolitan Command, and is here to stay even after I leave my Beautiful Lae.
My babies have grown.
Now I watch my boys run.
#SRUMYPRIDE

Comments