MARAPE: Young Leaders Must Rise Up


For over a month, I've been closely following one of Papua New Guinea's vibrant and young political leader in James Marape.

After 7 years of serving as a minister under Prime Minister Peter O'Neill's cabinet, Marape calls it quit on April 11th 2019.

His resignation as PNG's Finance Minister came as a surprise for many of his supporters. He fragmented the ruling Peoples National Congress (PNC) party and lured a good number of government MP's and ministers to the Opposition.

Papua New Guineans were anticipating a Vote of No Confidence in PM O'Neill and Marape's defection gave hope for a new government comprising young and vibrant leaders.

He was nominated as the Opposition's choice for alternate Prime Minister and later joined the oldest political party in PNG - PANGU Pati.

After a week, he resigned as the alternate PM nominee and invited MPs and political party leaders from the government to join opposition.

He was selfless in his decisions and made sure a change in the country's political leadership is imminent.

Marape was charismatic and his humility attracted more MPs to cross over.

His words following today's parliament session speaks alot about a young vibrant leader who has alot to offer for this great nation.

"Today was eventful, may I thank the original 24 at Laguna plus 4 others who joined later to have cast your trust on me, in a democratic process I requested at Laguna for the alternate PM , I collected 28 of the 67 leaders vote on offer.

I may not gain the nomination for PM now but I gain 28 great PNG leader men as my compatriots for the cause of truly making PNG the “richest black Christian nation” on earth. Together we will work our share for PNG into the future.

I will loose no sleep if I ever don’t be PM in my life but I want a government that put’s national interest ahead of personal and corporate interest, a government that respects landowners, all 89 districts, all 22provinces and builds our local business women and men and collect greater wealth from our resources and distributes to all corners of PNG.

To my supporters and both virtual and actual friends, my family and people of Hela , we owe it to the supporters and families of 28 other leaders who stood with me. Thankyou all for your never ending faith in the cause you requested me to take for our country.

It has never been about me but us here in Laguna, I never stepped down as FM on 11/4/2019 to be PM and I am frankly happy that I am not the PM nominee.

May a better road for PNG be found in our deliberations hence forth and I look forward to freely contributing better policies for the country , especially in areas of resource laws I feel is relevant to prop up our economy!

To the younger generation, let no older men tell you, you can’t do any thing or fight for your rights, I just showed that it can be done, you can lose a battle in between but get up, so you don’t lose the war."

Hulukumaiya

Comments

  1. Thanks for the courage. You have shown your values. The right time has come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment