SCARS OF INNOCENCE - The Jessie Jay Miller Story Part 1

By Sylvester Gawi

She is a soft spoken teenager and so lovely and vulnerable to be abused given the innocence of someone who is living a shattered life losing both parents.

Jessie appeared along the corridors of my office and smiled her heart out as she leaned over to shake my hand. She wasn't what I read about in Facebook last week.

" I can remember you working for FM Morobe, when dad took us to his office at Vele Rumana," Jessie introduced herself in a soft tone.



" I lost my in mum 2006 and my dad in 2015, in fact I lost my world as I was unable to complete my Grade 12 this year at Bumayong Lutheran Secondary School."

Jessie was verbally abused on social media after her ex boyfriend uploaded a picture of her in a nude scene. She became a victim of people with lustful appetite criticising her and making comments that narrowly assassinate her character.

" I was forced into doing this and I was brutally beaten and threatened if I don't subject to his instructions," Jessie explains about her ex boyfriend, a serving policeman's son.

All these beating and abuse happened within the confinement of a police barracks, a place where freedom and liberty should be embraced at all homes.

" I was beaten and locked up in his room for days until I recover. He took photos of my swollen eyes and do post them on social media."





Jessie was humiliated on Facebook, she was called names and was once said to have committed suicide.

" I felt missing, thanks to my close friends who knew who I am personally to comfort me and help me to collect my missing pieces," Jessie explains with tears strolling down her cheeks.

The black shades from bruises sustained on her face reminds me of many other women and girls, who are defenceless but are yet abused and tortured when they refuse to take orders from menfolks.

Nonetheless, Jessie will be finally assisted by some kind hearted individuals and NGOs to pursue her case in court and hopefully seek refuge somewhere where she can continue her education and achieve her dreams in life.



Comments

  1. We should end violence in the face of our women and children. We strongly believe in men but women and children we tends to give them a lower place in society. It is true that women and children are the moist important part of family unit in PNG. If you are a man, stop beating wife and abuse children. It is a crime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story Sylvester! I'm glad she is doing okay. Will be looking out for Part 2 of your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a touching story. Other young girls should take this as an example and don't trust any guy even if he is your boyfriend or uncle or what not to be alone with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, this case must be thoroughly dealt with in court and the person responsible has face the full force of the law.

    He is not a fit and proper person to live with among the community. He needs a full rehabilitation on his personal character...such a abusive mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story Gawi. I wish there's more journalists like you.

    Looking forward to JJM 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such inhuman acts should be dealt with accordingly and let justice be served rightfully so that it doesnt happen to other young girls and mothers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment