A TRUE BLUE KUMUL - Tribute to Late Thomas Pelika


A former senior journalist and political staff Elliot Raphael writes a hearthfelt tribute to Late Thomas Netato Pelika, Member for Menyamya and former Minister for Police.

Probably age, commitment to God Almighty and a simple change of heart that mellowed him.

But Thomas Pelika MP Menyamya was a 'hard nut to crack' in his hey days. I got to know Mr Pelika as a no nonsense boxer copper when he was the PSC for Kerowagi around 1977.

I was only 7. Pelika had a boxing club comprising mostly police personnel and he ensured special occassions in Kerowagi were celebrated with bouts of boxing feasts.

He used the code as his PR driver.

It was the first time I got introduced to him by my late dad Raphael Tingia. But as soon as I got to know him, he moved on.

Two decades later and I met up with him at Parliament - this time him as an MP and I as a reporter. Those who know him will attest.

He was a firebrand leader. He ensured he was heard.

He lasted two terms then hybernated for a decade and a half before re-emerging in 2017 as a third termer under Pangu.

This time he was calm, cool and collected. And I found the opportunity to meet up with him yet again.

I made sure I met him in person and retraced his hey days in my beloved Kerowagi.

We shared a good yarn over it. But again, as soon as we've gotten to reintroduce ourselves, he's gone.

Morobe has lost a leader. Only God knows how it feels. Rest In Eternal Peace, my leader my country man.

Comments