MY JOURNALISM JOURNEY




Introduction

My journey in journalism began in 2011, and over the years, I’ve had the opportunity to work across various platforms, from radio to television and print media. Each experience has contributed to my growth as a media professional, offering me a wide range of opportunities to cover significant events and work with prominent organizations.

Early Beginnings

In 2011, I began my career in media as a radio announcer with FM Morobe. This was a formative experience where I learned the basics of broadcast journalism and honed my skills in communication and audience engagement. Being on air provided me with a unique connection to the local audience, which fueled my passion for storytelling.

Transition to News Reporting

In 2013, I joined PNGFM as a newsroom reporter based in Lae. This role was an important step in my journey as it exposed me to the fast-paced world of news reporting. I covered a wide range of stories, focusing on regional news that was of importance to the local community. I further expanded my career in 2014 when I joined EMTV as a Crime and Sports reporter. One of my major achievements during my time at EMTV was being part of the team that covered the live telecast of the 2014 PNG Games in Lae. This was a key highlight, as I was involved in a national broadcast event that reached audiences across Papua New Guinea.

Expanding My Horizons

In 2015, I left EMTV and joined the Post Courier newsroom as an Online Reporter. This role brought a different challenge, transitioning from television to online journalism, which required adapting to the evolving digital landscape. Later, I moved to NBC Radio and TV, where I worked as a Provincial Journalist for both sports and general news. During my time at NBC, I was privileged to cover the 2017 National General Elections for both radio and television, which was an incredible opportunity to report on a major national event that shaped the country’s political landscape.

International Exposure

In 2018, I received a significant opportunity when I was selected by the US Embassy in Port Moresby to attend the APAC Google Media Summit in Singapore. This was a career-defining experience, as it allowed me to network with media professionals from across the Asia-Pacific region and gain insights into how digital platforms are shaping the future of journalism.

Current Role

In 2019, I transitioned into a new phase of my career, working as a Media Officer for the Member for Lae, Hon. John Rosso. In this role, I’ve been responsible for managing media communications, crafting messages, and ensuring that the public is informed of the Member's work and activities. This position has allowed me to use my journalism skills in a political context, combining my passion for media with public service.

Conclusion

My journalism journey has been one of growth, adaptation, and learning. From radio announcing to covering national elections and representing my country at an international media summit, each step has enriched my understanding of the media industry. As I continue in my role as a Media Officer, I look forward to the new challenges and opportunities that lie ahead, with the same passion for storytelling that has driven me from the start.

Comments